Ebola outbreak in DRC affects access to healthcare services
Kinshasa, August 17 (Hibya) - The ongoing Ebola outbreak in the Ituri province of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) has reportedly affected access to routine healthcare services.
The ongoing Ebola outbreak in the Ituri province of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) has reportedly affected access to routine healthcare services.
According to CCTV, some pregnant women have avoided visiting health facilities due to fears of infection, while attendance at prenatal checkups has declined.
According to a situation report issued on Sunday by DRC health authorities, 4,945 confirmed cases and 2,325 deaths have been recorded in the current outbreak, which began in the country earlier this year. The case fatality rate was reported to be 47 percent.
The report said the number of deaths in the current outbreak has surpassed the death toll recorded during the 2018-2020 Ebola outbreak, making the current outbreak the deadliest Ebola outbreak recorded in the DRC.
Healthcare workers at Elikya Hospital in Bunia said pregnant women have been advised to continue their regular checkups, but attendance at prenatal examinations has declined. Midwife Leonie Banana said missed appointments could prevent the early detection of certain health problems.
Eu Day Light